Monday 10 March 2014

Each little pledge

Spring comes anew and brings each little pledge
That still as wont my childish heart deceives
John Clare


After spending a lot of time enjoying the warm sunshine at the weekend, I find myself with a lot of paperwork to catch up on now! So here's a post full of photos of the springtime.

I cut some Delft Blue and a Pink Pearl hyacinth, a Heart's Delight tulip, a lone crocus, a Penny's Pink hellebore, and quince blossom for some milk bottles. The hyacinths smell gorgeous, so it's worth cutting a few if you have any to bring indoors.



I confess I squealed when I saw that my forget-me-nots from Shannon's Garden Centre had begun to flower! I have been assured by the lovely #Britishflowers community on Twitter that squealing over flowers is normal.


The promise of this pink bluebell will keep me running back to the greenhouse every morning now.


Finally, I bought violets from Thompsons and planted some in hanging baskets. There's a dark beauty in the centre of one basket that puts paid to the idea of violets being shrinking; how bold is this stunning flower?


But these two remind me of the "shy little violets" in the 1951 Disney film of Alice in Wonderland.


I potted up the rest of the violets to bring indoors. They are such sweet flowers.


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful collection of early spring flowers. I adore Forget-Me-Nots, it's that wonderful shade of sky blue that does it for me. Enjoy you beautiful blossoms and thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading! Yes, the blue is beautiful. I read a book as a child where a character was described as having eyes the colour of forget-me-nots, and that stayed with me. I'm growing pink ones too, because I saw blue, pink, and white forget-me-nots at Greenwich Park last year, and they look so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete